May 2nd, 8:00 – 10:00 AM | VICTORY MODEL HOME NEIGHBORHOOD
Pickleball is coming to Victory at Verrado and you’re invited to join the fun. If you kept up with 55 Things to do while you wait for Victory last year, then you already know that we think Pickleball rocks. In fact, you can check out this “Learn All About Pickleball” blog post for a refresher on what makes this ever-growing sport such a blast.
But rather than read about it, the good people at the Verrado Pickleball Club have offered to host a fun and informative Intro to Pickleball Clinic on Saturday, May 2nd to introduce newcomers to the game. And, of course, any Pickleball pros are invited to join for some fun games and to share their knowledge with other future Victory residents.
With over 90 members currently, the Verrado Pickleball Club is extremely active and a great place to continue honing your skills while we get ready to cut the ribbon on The Victory Club’s eight new courts next year.
Saturday’s clinic is being held right in the Victory Model Neighborhood on temporary courts set to official USA Pickleball Association dimensions. Paddles will be provided along with light refreshments and snacks.
To sweeten the pot just a little bit more, we’ll be giving away limited edition Victory at Verrado Pickleball t-shirts to all attendees.
So, mark your calendar and be sure to come out and join the fun this Saturday. And don’t forget, once Pickleball wraps up at around 10:00 AM, The Big Patio and Victory model homes will be open for you to take a look around and hangout as long as you’d like. You might even consider staying for some cooking demos and food tastings during “Hot and Fresh off the Victory Grill” from 11-2 PM. You can find more event details here on the May calendar, too.
See you on the court.
Rules of the Game
Pickleball was originally invented on a badminton court, so the game borrows heavily from badminton for its rules and court design. Check out the video below to get a brief overview of the rules of the game.
Video courtesy of USA Pickleball Association.
For a more comprehensive list of rules, download the PDF of the International Federation of Pickleball Official Tournament Rulebook here.
Fun Facts about Pickleball
- Meet up with other Verrado Pickleball enthusiasts at the Verrado Pickleball Club™.
- As of July 2014, there are over 2,500 different places to play Pickleball listed on the USAPA Places to Play page.
- It’s easy to convert a current tennis court to a Pickleball court. Check out how here.
- There are two accounts as to the origin of the name “Pickleball”: the game is either named after the “pickle boat” in crew, which was manned by oarsmen leftover from other boats, as Pickleball borrowed from other racquet sports; or it is named after the Pritchards’ cocker spaniel “Pickles”, who would chase after the ball when the family played.
- Pickleball’s popularity has been covered on both CNN and NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams.